DIY ART UPCYCLE 1960s RECORD CABINET

My husband and I have a large record collection that we have been collecting for years, some have been handed down and others we have found at yard sales, Goodwill, Flea Markets, Resale shops and Vintage shops over the years. We have been looking for a reasonably priced storage solution for all these records for quite some time. As I had searched the internet I had found that the popularity of records and record storage had surged due to the interest of young Hipsters, which also made the prices soar :(

However, one day this summer my Hubby and some friends of ours were resale/flea market/ antique/ Goodwill shopping and Bam! We found an ugly brown fake wood laminate, 1960s record cabinet friend! We haggled and brought it home for .... drum roll please.... $17! Score!

So we brought it home and put it in the shed... wait what?

Yeah, the shed, where it waited while I went to the store and bought the following:

Sandpaper medium and fine grain

one pint Kilz

two paintbrushes

1 roll blue painters tape

plastic drop cloths

3 cans Krylon Black Double coat spray paint Matte

3 cans Krylon Turquoise Double coat spray paint Matte

1 can Krylon Metallic Silver

(I had in my possession already 1 can Krylon Acrylic Gloss Spray and bought a second)

1 large stack of newspaper (already had)

ruler and old file folders to draw out the Thunderbird stencil

Finally I returned back home and was so excited I started taking the handles off and sanding them and attaching them to an old cardboard box so I could spray paint them with two coats and leave to dry without touching them...and ...

I forgot to take a "Before" photo... so our original cabinet was dark brown all over including the doors and legs - a fake wood laminate with gold handles and gold foot caps. I could not find a photo on the internet of one exactly like it other than this one below that is more blonde laminate and has black doors, but the cabinet itself is the same.

After I completed the handles, I sanded the entire piece. I then put two coats of Kilz on all surfaces inside and out of the cabinet and doors.  Once completely dry, I taped off the inside and top and spray painted two coats of the black first, then did the opposite for the inside which is turquoise and the top stripe. The next step, was to stencil and hand paint the Thunderbird Chevron design on the top and cabinet doors. Once all of the paint was dry, I painted a double coat of clear acrylic over the entire outside, doubling on the top surface and the doors where they would receive the most wear. I waited one month to make sure that the paint was entirely cured before loading the cabinet with the weight of the records as to not ruin the paint job. Yay! We have a place for our records to call home! If you have any DIY questions about this project, leave a comment below :D